Dental bridges close the gaps created by missing teeth. The procedure usually involves placing restorative teeth between your natural teeth and attaching them on either side. Our treatments include replacing missing teeth and fixing an existing dental bridge. If you are a candidate for a dental bridge, schedule a bridge appointment in our Howell, New Jersey, office.
Why Do You Need a Dental Bridge?
The main reason you would need a dental bridge is if you have missing teeth. A missing tooth is usually caused by gum disease, tooth decay or injury. You can also experience pain from the extra stress on your jaw and teeth caused by a missing tooth.
Losing a tooth can affect your overall smile, especially if the missing tooth is in the front of your mouth. It can sometimes make you feel self-conscious about laughing, smiling or showing your teeth in any way.
A dental bridge often requires that you have healthy teeth on either side of the missing one. The restorative tooth is made to blend in with the appearance of the rest of your teeth.
About Our Dental Bridge Services
During a dental bridge procedure, our specialists will first examine your mouth for gum disease or tooth decay to ensure it is treated. A dental bridge (pontic) is attached to healthy abutment teeth on either side, holding them in place and acting as anchors.
Here are the four main types of dental bridges we offer at Family Dentistry of New Jersey:
- Traditional fixed bridge: This is a common bridge, typically made of porcelain fused with metal, ceramics or metal. Our specialists hold the pontic in place using dental crowns that are connected to each of the abutment teeth. A traditional fixed dental bridge can be used when you have healthy natural teeth on both sides of the gap caused by a missing tooth.
- Maryland dental bridge: This bridge is ideal if you have a missing front tooth. Our specialists use a framework that supports the bridge. Your abutment teeth are bonded by wings on each side of the bridge.
- Cantilever bridge: Specialists only attach the pontic to one abutment tooth with a dental crown to hold it in a cantilever bridge. A cantilever bridge is used when you only have one healthy tooth near your gap.
- Implant-supported dental bridge: Our specialists attach your pontic to dental implants instead of natural abutment teeth.
Benefits of Dental Bridges
Dental bridges address many issues caused by missing teeth. Here are a few benefits of getting dental bridges:
- Revitalize your smile and self-confidence.
- Restore your speech and pronunciation.
- Prevent your remaining teeth from moving out of their natural position.
- Relieve the pain caused by the stress on your jaw and teeth.
- Correct your chewing and biting abilities.
- Prevent a sunken face shape that missing teeth may cause.
Schedule a Bridge Appointment Today
Family Dentistry of New Jersey provides dental bridges to patients in Howell, New Jersey. If you have missing teeth and want to restore your smile and dental functioning, our specialists will give you quality dental care.
Contact our Howell office or call us at 732-458-2288 to book an appointment today.